The Berry in a Box Stitch combines Knit & Purl increases to produce a beautiful layered, textured effect.
This stitch is pretty tricky to do, with plenty of increases and decreases to generate the little berries sitting in their boxes. Make sure you understand all the techniques involved before you start and take your time for the first few repeats until you find your rhythm.
Ready to get going, then let’s head to the instructions!
Cast on multiples of six plus one stitches for your project.
- Start the first row with three purl stitches. We now enter a six stitch repeat of knitting one and purling five. Continue repeating this until the last four stitches and knit one, then purl three.
- We start the second row by decreasing with a knit three together. Then we are into a repeat; begin by yarnover, then in the next stitch knit one, yarnover and knit one again. The repeat continues by yarning over then knitting five together. Keep repeating this until the last four stitches and yarnover, then in the next stitch knit one, yarnover, and knit one again, after this, we do another yarnover and then finish the row by knitting three together through the back loop.
- The third row starts out with a single knit, then into a repeat of purling five and knitting one. Continue this to the end of the row.
- For the fourth row, begin with a single purl, then keep repeating five knit stitches followed by a purl until you reach the end of the row.
- For the fifth row, repeat the third row instructions.
- The sixth row starts by knitting one, then in the same stitch, knitting one through the back loop. From here you enter a repeating pattern of yarning over, knitting five together, yarning over, then in the same stitch, knit one, yarnover and knit one again. Continue repeating this until the last six stitches, then yarnover, knit five together, yarnover and then in the last stitch knit one, then knit one through the back loop.
- Start the seventh row by purling three, then keep repeating knit one, and purl five until you reach the last four stitches where you will knit one then purl three.
- The eighth and final row begins with knitting three, then continue repeating a pattern of purling one and knitting five until you reach the last four stitches where you should purl one and knit three.
- Repeat rows 1-8 until you have reached your desired length.
Techniques Used in this Stitch:
k – Knit
p – Purl
(k1, k1tbl) in next st – (Knit 1, knit 1 through the back loop) in the next stitch
yo – Yarnover
k5tog – Knit 5 together
(k1, yo, k1) in next st – (knit 1, yarnover, knit 1) in the next stitch
k3tog – Knit 3 together
k3togtbl – Knit 3 together through the back loop
Berry in a Box Stitch Chart
- Row 1: p3, *k1, p5; repeat from * till last 4sts, k1, p3.
- Row 2: k3tog, *yo, (k1, yo, k1) in next st, yo, k5tog; repeat from * till last 4sts, yo, (k1, yo, k1) in next st, yo, k3tog-tbl.
- Rows 3 & 5: k1, *p5, k1; repeat from * till the end of the row.
- Row 4: p1, *k5, p1; repeat from * till the end of the row.
- Row 6: (K1, k1tbl) in first st, * yo, k5tog, yo, (k1, yo, k1) in next st; repeat from * to last 6sts, yo, k5tog, yo, (k1, k1tbl) in last st.
- Row 7: p3, *k1, p5; repeat from * till last 4sts, k1, p3.
- Row 8: k3, *p1, k5; repeat from * till last 4sts, p1, k3.
Repeat rows 1-8 to desired length.