Embroidering is the process of decorating fabric or other materials by using a needle to apply thread or yarn. It is usually applied to all kinds of clothing like caps, hats, coats, dresses, shirts, blankets, and many more. Embroidery is a nice way to learn a new skill and maybe even earn money on the side as you learn the ropes. If you have that creative knack, it will be easy to make fun designs, more so if you have a good machine.
A good embroidery machine will give you the freedom to liberally design any pattern you want on the fabric. There are many options out there, from basic to heavy-duty ones. To help you decide on perhaps your first embroidery machine, we will be reviewing 10 of the best ones for beginners currently available on Amazon. This way, you’ll have a handy device to accompany you as you learn the fundamentals of this popular craft.
Brother PE535 Embroidery Machine
The Brother PE535 embroidery machine is a nice device for beginners as it all has the features you need to learn the fundamentals while also keeping your wallet secured. It’s not as expensive as other machines you’ll find online. It is durable enough to last you more than a decade or more if given proper care and maintenance. There are 80 built-in designs to choose from that lets you design holiday items, floral patterns, or even children’s models, and many more.
If the built-in designs don’t suit your liking, beginners will find it comforting that this machine allows you to import your own custom designs via its USB port. You can try out a lot of your ideas you’ve been brewing for quite a while and preview how they look via the convenient 3.2” colored LCD touchscreen located at the right side of the machine. This way, you’ll have a feel of the overall look before even starting the stitching or embroidery process.
This embroidery machine also has 9 built-in fonts that beginners will surely appreciate. There are 6 English fonts and 3 Japanese lettering fonts that allow you to personalize your embroideries. The 4” by 4” embroidery field includes a hoop and is perfect for people learning the art of embroidery. The only drawback of the Brother PE535 is the fact that it doesn’t function as a traditional sewing machine. This can be a plus if you’d like to focus more on learning embroidering as a beginner.
Brother PE550D Embroidery Machine
Here’s another embroidery machine by Brother. We’ll have a couple from the same manufacturer on this list because they have the most user-friendly devices you’ll find on Amazon. Aside from being durable, they are also competitively priced. What differentiates the PE550D from the PE535 is that it has more built-in designs with around 125 pre-installed styles. 45 of those are Disney designs that are great for beginners learning how to embroider especially for their children.
This embroidery machine also allows the importation of custom designs if you’ve created unique ones of your own. The PE550D’s built-in memory allows you to insert your creations via its USB port. You’ll also be able to preview them using the 3.2” LCD color touchscreen display before embroidering them to your fabrics. Similar to the PE535, this machine has 6 English and 3 Japanese lettering fonts to select from according to your liking.
The 4” by 4” embroidery field comes with a foot and a built-in alignment tool to assist you as you learn the craft. The PE550D is also not a traditional sewing machine and does not function as a combo machine like others you’ll find on the market. For us, it is a better way to learn the fundamentals of embroidering as you can focus more on the craft before trying out different styles and techniques with sewing and other forms of crafting.
Brother SE625 Computerized Combination Sewing and Embroidering Machine
If you already know how to sew and would like to add embroidering to your repertoire, the Brother SE625 is a combo machine that might just be the one that you need. It has larger built-in design choices as you can select 280 embroidery designs right off the bat to indulge your beginner’s senses. The 80 are already pre-installed while the other 200 are included on the free CD when you purchase this combo machine. The designs include decorative alphabets, Greek Applique, borders, holidays, kids’ and nature’s designs, and more.
The large 3.2” colored LCD touchscreen display previews your selected designs in full color before you start the stitching process. This machine also has a nifty embroidery pattern drag and drop feature which allows you to move and position your designs on the LCD with just the touch of your fingers to give you more customization options. If you want to change the colors of the embroidery, the built-in color palette lets you change individual thread colors and view them on the screen before stitching.
Lastly, this combo machine has 103 sewing stitches for you to choose from. This includes beautiful decorative stitch styles and 8 styles of one-step, and auto-sized buttonholes. It is somewhat pricier than the first 2 Brother machines on this list but this is due to its dual functionality which gives you the versatility to sew and embroider at the same time.
Brother PE800 Embroidery Machine
The Brother PE800 is the last embroidery machine we have on this list from the same manufacturer. It’s the most expensive embroidery machine from Brother to be included in this article so if you’re a beginner and budget is not a concern for you, we recommend getting this device as it has the most complete features and utilities you’ll need to master the art of embroidering.
The PE800 has 138 built-in designs to choose from. The designs that are available range from scrollwork, floral and quilt patterns, and more. The many options you’re given allow your creativity to flourish and allows you to think more outside the box which is important if you’re a beginner. The handy USB port completes your dream of creating your custom embroidery designs and turning them into reality. The import function lets you embroider your own designs via its built-in memory. You’ll be able to preview all of these before stitching with a 3.2” colored LCD touchscreen.
This machine has more built-in fonts than the previous Brother models we’ve listed. It has 7 English fonts, 3 Japanese fonts, and 1 Cyrillic font style which will be perfect for monogramming and lettering projects that you’d like to try out. What makes the PE800 an enticing buy for beginners is the large 5” x 7” embroidery field. It also comes with an embroidery foot and hoop that’s always perfect for stitching large designs.
BTY Portable Handheld Sewing and Embroidery Machine
Are you tight on budget but really wanting to start learning the art of embroidering? Then you may want to check out the BTY portable handheld sewing and embroidering machine. It’s super cheap, weighs only around 2 lbs., and comes in chic colors like pink and purple depending on your liking. It’s the perfect sewing and embroidery machine for beginners because it ticks all the boxes you need to start the process of learning the craft while saving you precious money.
This compact combo machine by BTY is designed with a tube slot that makes it easy to sew and embroider. The manufacturer also equipped it with an LED lighting function and a needle protection cover to help you use it safely and efficiently while reducing eye strain. This handheld machine is powered by 4 AA batteries (not included) or an external power supply. It has dual-speed adjustment options you can select for a more concise and convenient operation.
Additionally, the construction of this machine utilizes environmentally-friendly materials. It looks cute for any sewing enthusiast and makes for a perfect gift for beginners due to its price and sleek look. BTY also offers a 6- month return or replacement guarantee on your purchase for any quality problems, making this a worry-free purchase for beginners.
Winne Sewing and Embroidery Machine
The Winne sewing and embroidery machine is another cheap combo machine that’s ideal for beginners wanting to learn the art of embroidering while staying on a budget. It’s convenient to move around and doesn’t take up much space while retaining its versatility. This machine can be used to sew and embroider clothes, toys, curtains, and many more. It’s made from high-quality ABS material giving the machine a longer service life when compared to other more affordable models.
The bottom of this combo machine has an anti-slip mat to prevent slips while operating. This ensures stability and accuracy when you’re neck-deep learning sewing and embroidering as your new hobby. It’s not easy to tilt or fall which is a plus for beginners. While embroidering on lightweight or heavy fabrics, it has an adjustable presser foot for a more controlled operating experience. This machine also supports pressing forward and backward while sewing or embroidering.
For more enthusiastic learners who even study embroidering in the middle of the night, this Winne combo machine has a built-in night light. You can turn the built-in LED light on/off anytime to help you see more clearly.
OMLTER Fashion Mate Electric Household Sewing & Embroidery Machine
The OMLTER Fashion Mate electric sewing and embroidery machine is a nice combo machine for beginners who like to learn how to sew and embroider at the same time. It’s compact so you can transport it with ease. The stitch selection dial has 34 available stitches to choose from. This ensures you’ll get the effect you like as you start to learn how to embroider and sew your favorite designs.
If you’re working on something and the light is a bit dark for your own comfort, the built-in LED lighting allows you to continue your work and see all the details even during the night. This also provides you with a more accurate look while working with darker fabric as the light focuses on your work. This sewing and embroidery machine has a metal body and runs stable and smooth. It produces low vibration which guarantees accurate sewing and embroidery.
Additionally, it weighs approximately 15 lbs. only which is relatively lighter than other embroidery machines on this list. The maximum stitching speed clocks at around 800 stitches per minute which is surprisingly fast for a compact machine. It’s great as a practice embroidery machine because the price is reasonable despite the fact that it allows you to sew and embroider at the same time. This combo machine is enough to accompany you for longer also because of its overall durability.
OMLTER Mini Household Sewing and Embroidery Machine
OMLTER offers a smaller and more compact alternative to the Fashion Mate with the Mini household sewing and embroidery machine. The OMLTER mini has a desktop design which is easy to use and flexible in its operation. This combo machine is so small and light and only weighs around 1.11 lbs. This means you can carry it anywhere with you even as you learn how to embroider.
Buying this combo machine includes all the tools for a beginner to perfect the art of sewing and embroidery. The package includes bobbins, needles, and other accessories you need to start right away. There are also fast and slow gear options so even the more experienced hobbyist will find this machine a charm to use. The combo machine has a streamlined appearance and a user-friendly design. It’s practical for use during the day and at night.
Even in a small package, the OMLTER mini can sew and embroider a lot of household materials like curtains, tablecloths, pillowcases, kids’ or pet’s clothes, hats, denim, shirt, canvas, and more. The only drawback is that the machine may not be suitable for thicker materials because they may not be able to fit in the combo machine.
AGM Sewing and Embroidery Machine
The AGM sewing and embroidery machine is a multifunction device that allows for computerized sewing. Beginners will delight in knowing that this machine has 200 built-in stitches to choose from including 8 styles of buttonholes. There is also a variety of alphanumeric sewing stitches for basic letter combinations. They are all changeable and viewable on the nifty LCD located at the top right of the machine.
This combo machine has a thread tension regulator to control the tightness of your stitches and a flexible handwheel for a more precise stitch control. It’s also equipped with an automatic threader that perfectly threads the needle and a convenient anti-seize plug-in bobbin. The AGM combo machine weighs around 15 lbs. so it’s pretty lightweight.
Buying this item includes all the basics like 3 needles, 1 double-needle, thread take-up knife with a brush, a small screwdriver, needle plate screwdriver, letter board, spool cover, bobbin, auxiliary thread column, and lots of presser foot that fits your every need. This combo machine gives you the easiest and cheapest way to solve most of your sewing and embroidering problems especially if you’re a beginner.
HGDM Electric Sewing and Embroidery Machine
Last on our list of the best embroidery machines we recommend for beginners is the HGDM electric sewing and embroidery machine. This combo machine is made of ABS plastic and metal and will look at home in any environment due to its sleek design and color. It has a small desktop size and produces only a small footprint which means you can carry it anywhere.
This combo machine is capable of 12 various kinds of stitches. It can do 3 kinds of straight stitches, 3 blind stitches, 3 buttonhole stitches, and 3 kinds of zigzag stitches. They are all readily changeable from the stitch selection dial. There are also 2-speed modes that children, the elderly, and beginners can suitably use without difficulty when operating it with proper care.
Some smaller sewing and embroidery machines we have on this list have drawbacks where thicker fabrics may not be possible to operate on but this one can perfectly do that with ease. The powerful motor of the HGDM combo machine makes thicker fabrics like denim easy to handle.
Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine
The Janome Magnolia 7318 sewing machine is a great machine that many beginners will find easy to work with. Its been designed to handle different type of projects including quilting, normal sewing, crafting, home decor and much more. Janome is known to produce machines which inspire creativity and innovation and yet are simple to use.
The machine has a number of impressive features which I will mention below
* This machine has 18 built-in decorative and a 4 step buttonhole stitches. The maximum stitch length is 4mm while the maximum width is 5mm
* The convenient stitch panel shows a summary of the stitches available for use. A dial allows you to effortlessly choose a stitch. You also have the option of choosing the stitch length or width. The seam guides on the needle plate help you to measure seam allowances.
* To strengthen your stitch, there is a reverse lever that you can apply to reinforce your stitch.
* There is a see through cover over the bobbin to let you see if you are running out of thread!
* The drop feed system, which is activated by a switch, allows you to do free motion quilting to old fashion darning. The free arm allows you to work on sleeves, pant legs and other cylindrical projects.
* The Janome 7318 has a storage compartment conveniently located the free arm. Great for holding your included accessories. With the Janome 7318 you can fit multiple layers fabric or bulky fabrics under the presser foot with ease.
Other items that come with the purchase of this machine: Blind stitch foot, a bobbin, a small spool holder, a buttonhole foot, felt, foot control, an instruction booklet, an extra spool pin (2). a lint brush, needle set, seam ripper, screwdriver, zipper foot.
- Works well works with light, medium and semi heavy fabric.
- Well designed machine that beginners will find easy to work with.
- An easy to thread machine..the bobbin is easy to fill and thread.
Someone said the motor won’t run below a certain speed making delicate work kinda iffy.
SINGER Start 1304 Beginner Sewing Machine
The SINGER Start 1304 Machine is another solid sewing machine designed for beginners in mind. This machine gives beginners a nice little launching pad without overwhelming them with extra features.
The Singer company is well known in the sewing industry and its said to be one of the world’s leading sellers of consumer sewing machines. What I also like about Singer is its long history of innovation.
Its the first company to produce the first portable sewing machine as well the first to produce the first computer-controlled sewing machine.
Anyway, the SINGER Start 1304 has some features that I wanted to highlight first. These are
* A quick and easy threading system – You will notice the threading instructions printed on the machine to help you thread the machine fast
* Has 6 built-in stitches that include the straight stitch, satin stitch, zigzag stitch, blend hem, scallop stitch and a 4-step buttonhole to help you make beautiful buttonholes.
* The machine has dual spool pins for twin needle sewing. You will notice the 2 vertical spool pins on the machine. Create parallel rows of stitching for hemming projects.
* The stitch dial enables you to change the stitches easily.
* Built with a heavy duty frame. Ensures that your machine remains stable as you sew. The heavy duty frame ensures the machine will last for years.
* Sold with 3 presser feet for your sewing projects. These include the all purpose foot, the buttonhole foot for extra buttonholes and the zipper foot for adding zippers, piping, cording etc.
* Reinforce your stitches using the reverse stitch. The reverse stitch is activated using the automatic reverse button.
- Its easy to set up thanks to the step by step directions and diagrams.
- Heavy duty frame to ensure stability and longevity
- The bobbin winds fast. Interesting to note is that the winder stops winding once its full, even if you keep on pressing on the pedal.
- It can sew through heavy fabric, but you will have to change the needles
- Dependable little machine that is perfect for beginners or people who don’t really need all the bells and whistles that come with complicated machines
- Doesn’t have the option to start or stop the needle in the up or down position after sewing. Anyway its a basic machine.
- It’s not cheap
Brother XM2701 Beginner Sewing Machine
With a nice range of beginner friendly features coupled with a lightweight design, the Brother XM2701 is another great machine for beginners who are learning the ropes on sewing even for more advanced sewers looking for versatility. Get to expand your creative abilities with this this easy to use, versatile machine!
If you are the type of person that is looking to get a foundational knowledge of sewing (and have broad capabilities) without spending too much money then consider buying this machine.
The machine is designed by the Brother International Corporation, a leading supplier of innovative products for home sewing and embroidery enthusiasts. This brother machine is perfect for multiple everyday sewing projects. Let me list some of its features:-
* Stitches – The Brother XM2701 machine gives you 27 built-in stitches. These include the decorative stitches, blind hem stitches as well as quilting stitches with an automatic one-step buttonholer for creating buttonhole
* Has 6 sewing feet: buttonhole foot, zigzag foot, zipper foot, narrow hemmer foot, blind stitch foot and button sewing feet. The free arm allows you to sew sewing cuffs, sleeves or pant legs.
* Other features include a jam resistant bobbin, a needle threader and a bobbin winding system. Enjoy 25 yrs limited warranty on this machine.
* LED light to brighten the work area on the machine. Best for dimly lit rooms and dark fabrics.
* Instructional DVD ish).
* Easily select stitches by using the dial. Choose from a list of 27 built-in stitches!
- Designed with simplicity in mind
- Great instructional DVD that is easy to understand.
- The tensioning and threading is super easy.
- Great price
- Not super great for thick fabrics
- For some, the foot lift being on the side & not back takes some getting used to
- This is not a heavy duty machine so avoid the temptation of pushing it too hard.
SINGER 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
We decided to include a computerized sewing machine in my list. Some say mechanical sewing machines are simpler to work with (especially for beginners) but I decided to include the SINGER Stylist 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine as part of my review of best sewing machines for beginners.
This machine is loaded with a number of free accessories that you will find useful. Below are the highlights of this machine:-
* Comes with 100 built in stitches! One of the advantage of computerized sewing machines are their huge range of sewing stitches. With this large selection of stitches, you have “unlimited” options to choose from for your fashion sewing, home/decorative sewing, quilting, crafting and heirloom sewing easier.
The machine also has 6 different one-step buttonhole styles too enabling you to create buttonholes with ease.
* Has a large LCD screen with clear options enabling you to choose different types of stitches including stitch length and width (stitch length or width is adjusted on the screen).
* Other features include a 6-segment feeding system, reverse stitching, automatic boobin winding, horizontal threading, automatic presser foot control, programmable needle up/down, electronic start and stop, extra-high presser foot lifter and speed control
* The sewing surface is lit by 2 LED lights to help you when working with dark fabrics or in dimly lit rooms.
* Easily thread your machine from the spool to the eye needle. To make things easier, the manufacturer has printed the threading instructions on the machine surface.
* This machine comes with 10 presser feet which include an all-purpose foot, buttonhole foot, satin stitch foot , narrow rolled hem foot, darning / freehand embroidery foot, gathering foot, blind hem foot, overcasting foot, quarter inch foot and a zipper foot.
Other accessories include: Needle plate screwdriver, bobbins, pack of needles, a darning plate, dust cover, auxiliary spool pin, thread spool caps, foot pedal, spool pin felt, instructional video, seam ripper / lint brush and a power cord
- Huge selection of stitches. As your skills develop as a beginner, there is a wide range of stitches to work with.
- 10 presser feet to choose from. No need to buy extra feet
Its a computerized machine so some beginners will find intimidating but I’m sure with practice one will get used to it.
Beginners usually like to try and test out their own design choices. A nice feature to have if you’re a beginner and are shopping for an embroidery machine is the digital accessories that come with the device. Having a USB port to import your own embroidery designs is a fun way to learn the art as you’re more inclined to stick with mastering the craft when you see your own creations become a reality. An LCD to preview your designs and other things like foot pedals and automatic needle threaders are also a plus. The best embroidery machines also have auto functions like an automatic needle threader. With it, you can change the thread easily with a single touch of a lever.
If you’re a beginner, you should probably stick to the cheaper embroidery machines you’ll find online than buying an expensive one outright. This should actually be the first thing you have to consider especially if you’ve never tried embroidering before. It’s probably better to buy exclusive embroidery machines than the combo ones that can embroider and sew at the same time so you can focus more on learning the process of embroidering before experimenting with advanced styles.
Built-in Designs and Patterns
A helpful feature for beginners to quickly learn embroidering is the built-in designs the manufacturer normally includes with the purchase of their machine. Some cheaper embroidery machines have around 80 built-in designs while the expensive ones can have as high as 200 or more. Import options that allow you to use your own designs by connecting to a USB port will help you create endless design possibilities.
Portability and Ease of Use
A beginner’s embroidery machine should be compact and easy to use. This provides you with freedom of movement to move from one place to another and still learn the craft at your own pace. The embroidery machine must also be easy to set up and not confuse you with the buttons and dials. An instructional video or a step-by-step guidebook will be helpful in this situation. Don’t shy away from reading these guides as they allow you to understand the basics of embroidery faster.
What type of garments can I embroider?
Curious beginners will usually try their embroidery designs on any type of fabric. This is essentially fine as any soft fabric will fit under the needle of the machine. You’ll be able to stitch and embroider any designs or embellishment on any suitable garment.
How profitable is an embroidery business?
An embroidery business can be quite profitable due to the relatively low cost of supplies and equipment. If you’d like to pursue embroidery as a main or alternative source of income, take note of the important factors like quantity, the size and quality of the design, type of fabric or garment material to use, thread type, and how long it takes to do a certain project or job. It’s normal for a 50% to 100% markup of your total cost in the sale so adjust your prices accordingly.
Where and how do I get embroidery designs?
A lot of embroidery machines you’ll find offer designs in their software that are readily available for use when you buy them. Some advanced machines allow custom designs as they have built-in memory and give you the option to import your own creations via the machine’s USB port.